By Gabe Moses
Forget the images you’ve learned to attach
To words like cock and clit,
Chest and breasts.
Break those words open
Like a paramedic cracking ribs
To pump blood through a failing heart.
Push your hands inside.
Get them messy.
Scratch new definitions on the bones.
Get rid of the old words altogether.
Make up new words.
Call it a click or a ditto.
Call it the sound he makes
When you brush your hand against it through his jeans,
When you can hear his heart knocking on the back of his teeth
And every cell in his body is breathing.
Make the arch of her back a language
Name the hollows of each of her vertebrae
When they catch pools of sweat
Like rainwater in a row of paper cups
Align your teeth with this alphabet of her spine
So every word is weighted with the salt of her.
When you peel layers of clothing from his skin
Do not act as though you are changing dressings on a trauma patient
Even though it’s highly likely that you are.
Do not ask if she’s “had the surgery.”
Do not tell him that the needlepoint bruises on his thighs look like they hurt
If you are being offered a body
That has already been laid upon an altar of surgical steel
A sacrifice to whatever gods govern bodies
That come with some assembly required
Whatever you do,
Do not say that the carefully sculpted landscape
Bordered by rocky ridges of scar tissue
Looks almost natural.
If she offers you breastbone
Aching to carve soft fruit from its branches
Though there may be more tissue in the lining of her bra
Than the flesh that rises to meet itLet her ripen in your hands.
Imagine if she’d lost those swells to cancer,
A car accident instead of an accident of genetics
Would you think of her as less a woman then?
Then think of her as no less one now.
If he offers you a thumb-sized sprout of muscle
Reaching toward you when you kiss him
Like it wants to go deep enough inside you
To scratch his name on the bottom of your heart
Hold it as if it can-
In your hand, in your mouth
Inside the nest of your pelvic bones.
Though his skin may hardly do more than brush yours,
You will feel him deeper than you think.
Realize that bodies are only a fraction of who we are
They’re just oddly-shaped vessels for hearts
And honestly, they can barely contain us
We strain at their seams with every breath we take
We are all pulse and sweat,
Tissue and nerve ending
We are programmed to grope and fumble until we get it right.
Bodies have been learning each other forever.
It’s what bodies do.
They are grab bags of parts
And half the fun is figuring out
All the different ways we can fit them together;
All the different uses for hipbones and hands,
Tongues and teeth;
All the ways to car-crash our bodies beautiful.
But we could never forget how to use our hearts
Even if we tried.
That’s the important part.
Don’t worry about the bodies.
They’ve got this.
- thor-broke-the-rainbow-bridge likes this
- kittyvonmaow likes this
- rayvenloaf likes this
- littlefunnyoldbluehat reblogged this from dragonsatmidnight
- manic-sociopath-321 likes this
- decriminaleyes likes this
- punky-wolf-cub likes this
- punky-wolf-cub reblogged this from yourbest-keptsecret
- the--beautiful--world likes this
- yourbest-keptsecret reblogged this from blue-obliviate
- yorwos reblogged this from dragonsatmidnight
- yorwos likes this
- breakfastcluq likes this
- blue-obliviate reblogged this from dragonsatmidnight
- dragonsatmidnight reblogged this from dragonsatmidnight
- softmonologues reblogged this from genderqueer
- ceiling-spike likes this
- ilostmysovereignty reblogged this from genderqueer
- mytruelifemyownmind reblogged this from atlinmerrick
- eorroxsox likes this
- planculrouen likes this
- sezzadarling reblogged this from justjasper
- itarasi reblogged this from sharkbites-adamstransition
- technically-imironman reblogged this from sundialsandsmiles
- caroinsertrandom reblogged this from thirstyforstisaac
- whathappenedtoyouhelena reblogged this from sarahcosima
- a-nice-little-cigarette likes this
- foreverfoxxay reblogged this from sarahcosima
- hassystuck likes this
- rcsordinaryworld likes this
- urls-areoverrated likes this
- fairlyqueer reblogged this from bottledchaos2012
- fairlyqueer likes this
- bottledchaos2012 reblogged this from theathleticaestheticblog
- bottledchaos2012 likes this
- theswearingmime likes this
- youmaycallmestark reblogged this from khaleesi-lifts
- theathleticaestheticblog reblogged this from sarahcosima
- theathleticaestheticblog likes this
- khaleesi-lifts reblogged this from sarahcosima
- coolshadespeare reblogged this from enforcerkunizuka
- coolshadespeare likes this
- enforcerkunizuka reblogged this from bostonhomisigh
- bostonhomisigh reblogged this from sundialsandsmiles
- queersororitygirl reblogged this from sundialsandsmiles
- johnliveshere reblogged this from sundialsandsmiles
- johnliveshere likes this
- queersororitygirl likes this
- ironbull likes this
- sundialsandsmiles reblogged this from sarahcosima